Safe Dialogue Process
In general, the dialogue process goes as follows, although each dialogue is tailored to fit the expressed needs of the actual participants. Also, prior to the session, participants sign informed consent waivers authorizing audio taping of the dialogue. The audiotapes provide essential tools in "follow-up" counseling sessions. The tapes are for counseling and training purposes only, are confidential, and remain the property of DVSD.
Each participant will attend a pre-dialogue meeting led by DVSD facilitators with his or her support person — done meeting for the survivor and one for the offender.
Pre-dialogue interviews typically:
If, after the pre-dialogue interview, either participant wishes to back out of the program, they may do so. At no time during the process are they obligated to continue their participation.
1. One Survivor (unrelated to Offender)
2. One Offender (unrelated to Survivor)
3. One personal advocate — such as a counselor — per participant
4. Two DVSD-trained facilitators — usually one male and one female
5. Videographer, when requested (tapes remain confidential and property of DVSD)